Monday, October 25, 2010

Career Test

So, this will be a short post but I figured its worth talking about. I just took a few career tests just for fun to see what it would say about myself. The first one I took was really short only 25 questions. I got results like journalist, novelist, veterinarian, and the one that made me laugh, Rabbi/priest. I sort of believed these results but, there was still a little doubt in my mind. So, I searched for a more in depth test and finally found one. This test was 78 questions long and would give you five careers that would be suitable for you. So, I decided to plug away at it, scrolling and then clicking a bubble for about 20 minutes. I Found myself stopping at the very end of the exam, hesitating to click continue. I thought about it for a minute, and the question I couldn't answer was "Why?". Why am I hesitating, it's just a simple career test. Is it the fact that its going to make me realize I shouldn't be in the major I am? Maybe, but I just couldn't answer that. So, with some doubt I managed to click continue. The 5 careers didn't surprise me they were Journalist, Novelist/poet, Historian, Artist, and photographer. What did surprise me were the five careers I would be unhappy with. They were Chemist, Mathematician, Architect, economist, and engineer. The career that I have been in school for 4 years now is one that I would be unhappy with. Engineer. I was a little shocked at that, but somewhere deep in my mind it was easy to accept. That's when I realized I just accepted the fact of being unhappy with my career. Is that even a good thing to do? So why did I find it acceptable? For the life of me I can't figure it out. The only thing I could think of was when I graduate at least I will make enough money, that will make me happy. Right? So, back to the previous question. Why did I hesitate? I think I can answer this now that I've thought it through. I've always known the answer to the "what do you want to do with your life" question. It's just I thought that being a writer, poet, journalist, or anything like that was such a dream. Something unrealistic, just a hobby to do on the side. I guess I just hesitated because there was no real reason to take the career test. That has to be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment